Moving is so exciting, and getting settled in your new home – while it is a lot of work – is the beginning of a new chapter for everyone in the family. For kids, school, playgrounds and friends in the new neighborhood are important, but getting comfortable inside the new home with new kids furniture is probably the most important part of making a move. This is where most of their time will be spent, so making sure kids love their surroundings and have a great environment to grow before Back to School is critical.
At Maxtrix we help families furnish their kids' rooms every day, so we have a few tips that you may want to consider as you get settled in your new home:
1. Plan Ahead for Delivery TimesWhile it’s fun and exciting to “camp” in your new home for a few nights, you want to make sure that the essentials are organized before moving day. Plan for time to lay out the new space, identify what you may need and estimate between 3–12 weeks for new kids furniture and decor pieces to arrive. Set-up may also take a few days, so make sure you have some time planned in before the room has to be perfectly set up.
2. Room Selection is KeyWhile most kids won’t get the largest room in the house, there are usually some choices to be made as to which room in the home will be best suited for them. Try involving them in the decision. Depending on their age, they may have some interesting perspectives for you to consider. However, even if you chose to ignore their wishes, you can get a good understanding of what really matters to them to get comfortable in their new surroundings. Little preferences like the ability to sleep close to a sibling, shut their door for privacy, or a view of their parent's room gives a good insight into the fears and motivations that can easily get drowned out in the excitement of the move.
3. Consider Shared RoomsIf you have the option, consider the benefits of a shared room – possibly freeing up a second room for a separate play or study space - before you make a final decision to allocate a room to each child. There are lots of reasons sharing a room may be a great choice for your family - read our top 10.
4. Room Setups that Multitask
Give kids decision power (within reason) to determine their own surroundings. So if (per point two) you know that they are a little scared of their new surroundings, help them create “safe zones” like forts, and make sure the night lights are plugged in and working. If they are starting in their new school soon, get them set up early with a dedicated space in the home where uninterrupted studying can take place - see our preschool, elementary/middle school, and high school/college guides.
Making new friends in the neighborhood? Create a welcoming environment so new friends want to hang out at your home rather than disappear into the new neighborhood. A well-set up room with plenty of space to play, relax and entertain will do the trick.
Custom Kids, Tween & Teen Beds Design Help
Not sure where to start? Don’t hesitate to ask for professional help! We have Designers ready to help you find the right bed for your new kids room, tween room or teen room. We can also help with all kinds of questions around measurements, mattress options, accessories and so much more!
Here are some helpful articles to also get you started:
- Why Maxtrix and How to Get Started
- Buying Guide for Kid's Bunk Beds
- Loft Beds for Kids: Maxtrix Buying Guide
- Your Guide to Selecting the Best Toddler Bed
- Best Kid's Rooms for Low Ceilings
- Best Mattresses for Bunk Beds & Loft Beds
- How to Create the Perfect Kid's Storage Bed Configuration
- The Pros & Cons of Stairs vs. Ladders for Bunks & Lofts
- Bunks Vs. Lofts - Which is Right for You?
- What Bunk Bed Height is Right for My Child?
- What Size Bed is Right for My Child?
- How to Measure Your Room for a Kids Bed
Back to School Bedroom Furniture
Want your new kids furniture before it's time to go Back to School? Don't miss your deadline to purchase! Many schools begin in the middle of August, so make sure you order early to ensure your child's room is setup in time! Early Birders will benefit most with extra days to assemble, arrange the room and make the space unique with accessories. Looking for the best kid's room setups for Back to School? We have an inspiration page already set up for you - search top beds and desk collections for Preschool, Elementary/Middle or High School/College students.
We're here to assist so contact our team if you want help with any Maxtrix products! And, have a great Summer!